Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > My New Watch

Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
BDWF WIS

Default My Precisionist

I finally had some time today to get some pictures taken of my new BULOVA Precisionist Claremont (96B129).

As an aside, this is perhaps the hardest to photograph watch that I own.
(I experimented with different light sources and locations to get these, thus the inconsistancies of exposures.)

This arrived a week ago and I've worn it all or part of everyday since then.

Sure, one reason is because it's new, but that factor is usually only good for a couple of days with most new ones for me.

The main reason it's barely left my wrist during this time is the wear-ability. I can't over emphasize how comfortable this watch is.

The fit and finish of the bracelet is well done, but the case design is the real star here.

While somewhat subtle at first glance, there's a curve to the outer case and a more pronounced one to the crystal accentuating dial legibility:

The satin and high polish finished bracelet, though not as substantial as the ones on my Accutron VX200 chrono or my Curacao, is well made.

Rounded on edges that contact the skin, it's design is very flexible and pliant so as to conform to the wrist providing comfort and balance.

The watch stays in place without slipping.

Accommodating the perfect fit is the inclusion of a pair of half links on the friction pin connected bracelet. An important feature when combined with double push button, deployant clasps.

(Oh, why don't all such bracelets include at least one half link?!)

You can see in the shots below that I'm using one of them for a tailored fit to my 7 1/2" wrist.
(You can also see that I haven't removed the caseback protective sticker yet.)

The extremely easy to read dial consists of black and charcoal gray multi-level, multi-pattern;
silver applied Arabic numerals; elevated dial ring with split-second minute track; calendar window.

Only the hour and minute hands, diamond-cut beveled and polished, (baton sweep second hand with Precisionist logo personalized counterweight),
are somewhat luminous, which could have been done better.
But, luminous they are.

This model, as in all the men's versions, uses the quartz Precisionist Bulova caliber P102.10 (12 ligne) movement, which so far lives up to its accuracy publicity.

I set it to my atomic clock the day I got it and it has remained spot-on these last 8 days. Since within 10 seconds a year is what is advertised for this new line, we'll return to this aspect next November. Stay tuned!

The 316L, SS case is rated at only 30m WR and so the swirled designed crown is push pull rather than screw down. As a daily wearer of its land-bound owner in a rain starved region, 30m will likely suffice.

The case measures 50mm from end of the top lug to the end of the bottom one and 47mm from 9-3 including the swirly-ridged, BULOVA logo-signed crown; 39mm, 9-3 across the crystal only.

12mm is the thickness dimension of the watch, center of the crystal to the caseback.

This is a very enjoyable watch to wear, beyond the fact that it's comfortable.

The multi-level dial features, especially the blocky, raised numerals, reflect prevailing light in many directions producing a visually appealing appearance.
And the extreme curve to the crystal causes some interesting image distortions to the dial when viewed at low angles.

The multi-surfaced, satin and bright two-toned finished case and bracelet also cause the light reflections to draw the eyes to this watch.
I'm not talking disco ball type action here, but enough character to not be ignored.

Thanks for looking!

DAVE
Old 11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
BDWF Sr. Admin

Great review, Dave, and some great pics too. I was looking at the strap model of this watch at my local hell-hole Macy's a couple of weeks ago; I also admired the (very) curved case and crystal, which you caught so well in you photos. I tried it on, but it wears pretty large on me.

Again, thanks for a super review of an important new watch line!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

--Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), Blade Runner
Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 PM
BDWF WIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjurer View Post
Great review, Dave, and some great pics too. I was looking at the strap model of this watch at my local hell-hole Macy's a couple of weeks ago; I also admired the (very) curved case and crystal, which you caught so well in you photos. I tried it on, but it wears pretty large on me.

Again, thanks for a super review of an important new watch line!

Thanks, John.

This model is offered with a rich brown colored dial that I almost bought instead of this black dial. There's a blue dialed one, too.

I believe this is the (relatively) smallest version of the current men's Precisionists.

DAVE
Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Congrats on the new pickup. It looks great. I was just looking at the new line, but that did not have that model.

I will have to find one of these.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 PM
BDWF WIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarno8 View Post
Congrats on the new pickup. It looks great. I was just looking at the new line, but that did not have that model.

I will have to find one of these.
Thanks!

Just a head's up if you're looking.

Check out a local Macy's department store. They're having a big sale this weekend and if you open a new account, you'll get some additional hefty discounts.

You can order any model through the store, free shipping and have it in 4-5 days.

(Disclaimer: I have no official connection to or with Macy's.)

DAVE
Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Very nice Bulova, and thanks for sharing your insights. Enjoy your watch
Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

Congrats, Dave...

Great pics and review...I purchased one for the wife and 2 for myself and all have been spot on...Bulova is finally doing some full page adds in several magazines to get the word out on this very accurate timepiece...
Congrats and enjoy yours...

Deck
Old 11-18-2010, 11:20 PM
BDWF MASTER WIS

Old 11-18-2010, 11:20 PM
BDWF WIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
Congrats, Dave...

Great pics and review...I purchased one for the wife and 2 for myself and all have been spot on...Bulova is finally doing some full page adds in several magazines to get the word out on this very accurate timepiece...
Congrats and enjoy yours...

Deck
Thanks!

Actually, the pics and notes you posted here about yours and your wife's models helped to spur and continue my initial desire to check these out.

Having first seen them in magazines since last Spring's industry shows, I was intriqued by the "new" technology that these movements represented.

So, thanks to you, Deck, I was hooked!

DAVE
Old 11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

Great addition Dave. A very cool dial layout.

What exactly is on the back end of the second hand?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:05 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

Looks like the symbol for infinity.

@futurerustanddust
Old 11-19-2010, 05:24 PM
BDWF WIS

The symbol on the end of the second hand is meant to be the letter "P", twice, for Precisionist, according to company info.

I think it's styled that way to show the letter when the second hand is pointing up at the 12:00 and also down at the 6:00 positions,
hence the seemingly back-to-back loops.

To my eye, it looks like a pair of closed scissors, almost.

But, infinity would be appropriate, too.

DAVE
Old 11-19-2010, 07:31 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

Congratulations on the pick up. I have worn mine every day since I purchased it, you will love it!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

I really like that model. Enjoy!!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 PM
BDWF WIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurdick View Post
Congratulations on the pick up. I have worn mine every day since I purchased it, you will love it!

Thanks!

I know what you mean; I'm still wearing mine.

DAVE