Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > Media Forum

Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default Sales Tax-ShopNBC

Did anyone notice (I was in the process of ordering a Renato) that SHOPNBC is now charging sales tax?
When did this happen? Anyone else notice?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

Default Re: Sales Tax-ShopNBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsdiva
Did anyone notice (I was in the process of ordering a Renato) that SHOPNBC is now charging sales tax?
When did this happen? Anyone else notice?
It was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm guessing from your name you're in New York also. New York State is now requiring internet stores to collect sales tax from New York residents. They started with Amazon and are trying to force everyone else into collecting it as well.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

I just noticed that too....such is life....
Old 06-02-2009, 03:45 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Yes-Long Island, NY-I was ready to pull the trigger on a women's Renato with rubber strap and was on the fence about spending the money. When I went to check out, there it was...........another $30 in tax aside from the shipping. Maybe it was meant to be but cancelled the sale after thinking it over. The little extra just made my decision. I guess that I should be happy that it took this long.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:49 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

You live on LI and $30 matters....where on the Island...I used to live in Greenlawn and Smithtown....get the watch...you only live once......my slaes tax was 5x yours....and I took a shot...
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

I live in New Hyde Park-just over the Queens border-Brooklyn born and raised. Yes, in this economy and recently lost my job as a commercial real estate paralegal and soon to be a grandmother for the first time, I think twice each time I see a watch the I crave. Actually, as good a buy as it was, I wasn't totally in love with that Renato. I do have my eye on another one and may just wait for another deal to come my way. Right now, the money I saved by stopping myself from pulling the trigger on the Renato goes toward a baby carriage. The tax does take a bite out of the wallet-it was an unpleasant surprise. The good thing-I guess I really didn't want it anyway.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

I can't believe it. You're my neighbor. I live on the Queens side of New Hyde Park. And I just became a grandfather for the first time back in Sept.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
BDWF Executive Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsdiva
[...] the money I saved by stopping myself from pulling the trigger on the Renato goes toward a baby carriage.
Brooklyn born and raised also... the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn.

Family first. Always. The carriage will mean more to you in the long run than the Renato.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

why we shop on internet with crappy return service and waiting for a items to arrive safely , because its saves us MONEY and adding tax on these purchases will make a differences what and where I buy items on internet.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:08 PM
BDWF Sr. Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmedia
why we shop on internet with crappy return service and waiting for a items to arrive safely , because its saves us MONEY and adding tax on these purchases will make a differences what and where I buy items on internet.
Well, that and the fact that it seems that amazon doesn't fulfill their orders, i.e. what seems to be the Oris debacle in the making. If you shop B&M, at least you can get out the front door with the watch before the alarm goes off.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

--Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), Blade Runner
Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

When I purchase from WOW I do not pay sales tax. Same with a lot of places still within the last two weeks anyways. I hope it stays the same. I am sure Patterson will find them all and make sure they are charging the sales tax. I see he got the $0.05 on bottled water deposit kicked back at least for a year. He only has a 29% approval rating, he will be gone in 2010, I hope!!!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:57 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjurer
Well, that and the fact that it seems that amazon doesn't fulfill their orders, i.e. what seems to be the Oris debacle in the making. If you shop B&M, at least you can get out the front door with the watch before the alarm goes off.
Don't blame Amazon for the Oris mess (which I lost out on too). It's solely the fault of the fulfiller, Perfect Timing.

Back on topic, I think this is only the beginning. Sooner or later we will be paying state sales tax on all online purchases, including eBay purchases (talk about a logistical nightmare in the making). It was good while it lasted...

Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 AM
BDWF Watch Collector

WOW.........many neighbors out here !! Small world !! I am from Valley Stream South area...border of Lynbrook and Hewlett !!

I love the Mets also..........Lost 2 straight to Pirates..........Couldnt score again for Santana.........

Anyway...I just bought 3 things from the WEB today.... No sales tax on all 3... all 3 were smaller websites...and I bought a major purchase like 4 weeks ago from WOW and no tax........

If SNBC now charges tax...and NY collects it that SUCKS ! I no we cant get political out here but David Patterson is the worst Gov..clueless....IMO...Too bad Spitzer was an A hole or he would have been good....

Diamond Guy.....I no you were just making a statement,.I assume but I doubt your sales tax is 5X what the 8.75% or so we pay in NY/LI !!!!!!!! or what most of the countries pays in sales tax !!
And you had asked if she lived on LI and $30 matters?? You were from LI....most of us are struggeling like the rest of the country and dam straight $30 matters! That's 3 weeks of Lunch's for my son at school or a tank of Gas..well 3/4 tank.......Not trying to stir things up out here at all......just to me every penny counts..that;s why a $10 SNBC coup. code is such a big deal,etc...etc....
Old 06-03-2009, 02:21 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Bonsai Doug-born and raised in Flatbush-moved to E. Flatbush and now in NHP. Glad to see all these NYers here! Sales Tax is a fact of life that we will have to deal with. I agree with some of the posts-Patterson is a nightmare-has no clue. Hope the economy rebounds-too many of us out of work. Just a few years ago, everything was soaring. Totally different world now. I am still on the lookout for special watches but yes, strollers and high chairs are definitely priority. Cannot wait to be a grandma.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

One of the major edge's of Internet business is being eroded. As a former retail business owner, all I can say is it's about time.
As a consumer, I hate it, though