Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > Reviews

Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 AM
BDWF Watch Collector

Default Invicta 5125 - Grand Diver Swiss GMT

Okay - so I'm sure a few were miffed by my glowing praise of Slop and this watch on the other thread... Like I've said before - those with Slop beef - you have my deepest sympathies - It sucks when something breaks or isn't perfect straight out of the box and then CS does nothing to help your situation. So now that is out of the way - onto the review:

Here are the 'stats' as they appear on the Slop website:

Bracelet: Stainless steel
Movement: Swiss Ronda quartz
Crystal: Sapphire coated mineral
Crown: Screw down
Clasp: Deployant
Bracelet Measurements: 8-1/2" L x 22mm W
Case Measurements: 44mm
Water Resistance: 20 ATM - 200m - 660ft

Listening to the overbloated schpeel of Eyal and Jim you'd swear this is the greatest watch ever made! Now while I personally wouldn't go that far - Let's face it I have an Omega and Gevril that blow this thing out of the water every day of the week and twice on Sunday - It is the best Invicta I have purchased as yet and that is saying something, cause I have rated my 4856 ProDiver as an 4.0 out of 5 on the JTREY Scale of Fit and Finish and that is as high as I've rated a non-Swiss made watch. (**note the 4856 does have a Swiss Quartz mov't, but is assembled elsewhere)

So lets start at the top shall we?

Bracelet:

Let's compare first... the links on the 2301 (OGII) and the 4856 (PD) are 1.25mm in thickness. The links on the GMT are a full 2mm's thick giving it a little more weight and nice balance to the case. It also has solid end links - something none of my other seven Invicta watches can brag about. As always Invicta uses the standard pins making for easy sizing and plenty of removable links and as standard are the polished center link w/ the brushed outer links. Rate:5.

Crystal:

As the norm - it has the sapphire coated mineral crystal - however I must note that while it has a substantial 2x magnifier for the date window - the cyclops magnifier isn't centered over the date window, making it difficult to read off the bat w/o tilting it slightly nor is it as large a magnifier as it is on say the 4856 or the 4859. Rate:3

Clasp:

WOW! Something that I haven't seen on any other Invicta I own - A scissor clasp!! Not that I have had any trouble from any of the regular s/s folding clasps from Invicta, they just present themselves as flimsy. This is nice hearty clasp like I have on my SeaPro's - It's a nice addition. It does have the micro-adjustments as normal. Rate: 5

Case:

The case measures actually measure 42mm and 46mm w/ the crown... so yes the average then would be 44mm. beyond that small discrepancy it has the normal Invicta logo stamped into the non-crown side of the case and 'Master of the Oceans' stamped into the crown side. The case back is also handsomely decorated w/ the watch name and info... Rate: 4

Bezel:

Unlike other bezels, while yes it is unidirectional, it has a 24 hour mark system... so added w/ the 24 hour markers on the dial it could ideally be used for a third time-zone - not that anyone would probably ever use it for that.... but hey, it's a neat feature.... Even if it does defeat the 'Diver' purpose of the bezel.... Rate: 4

Overall Fit and Finish:

Okay - Moment of Truth.... Since this is a Swiss Made piece it gets rated up there w/ the Omega and the Gevril.... Sorry Eyal.

Overall it is good quality - something I actually have come to expect from Invicta. Granted it isn't Omega - and we have to keep this in mind as we put it on - But for the money spent (under $125) and for the quality on hand and the feel and fit on the wrist this one gets a solid 4.2 on the JTREY scale.

(To those wondering - Yes the Omega Speedmaster LE Michael Schumacher Legend is a 5.0 on the scale and the Gevril LE Park is a 4.5 on the scale)
Old 10-14-2008, 01:19 PM
BDWF Sr. Admin

Default Re: Invicta 5125 - Grand Diver Swiss GMT

EXCELLENT review, Jon. Really first rate, and great pics, too. You really cut through the SHOPnbc BS and give us the straight dope.

I'm waiting for mine with baited breath.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

--Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), Blade Runner
Old 10-14-2008, 01:32 PM
BDWF WIS

Very nice Jon! The watch and review!

I recently received excellent pricing, product and shipping on 2 watch purchases from SHOP. One was a TT lupah diver anfd the other was a recent Reserve Speedway that I still need to take pics and do a post on.

for a rare positive experience, we need more of them, AND WATCHES!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 PM
BDWF Exec Admin

Nice review Jon...make my wallet itch a bit.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:22 AM
Former BDWF Owner/Charter Member

Thanks Jon; I agree it is a beauty; regardless of who made it, where it was bought, I still like it!

Member of NRA

Licensed FFL
Old 10-18-2008, 12:20 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

Dammit! Now I have to get one!