Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > General Community > General

Old 10-20-2007, 07:04 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default Vlajoux 7750 vs ETA 2824.2 ??

Hi.. I've spent a bit of time searching for info on the 2824.2 movement,over the last year or so.
Leading eventually to purchasing a Swiss Made watch with this movement,and feeling comfortable about the tried and tested track record for it's quality and reliability.
Recently I'm running across (Swiss Made) watches that are powered by the 25 jewel Vlajoux 7750.
Other than seeing the Model /Name brand,I know little about the Vlajoux 7750.
Just as a desire to know,whats the thoughts/consensus about this model vs the ETA 2824.2 ???
I'm not sure why I haven't seen this model movement being used in the watches I've viewed for sale.
It seems most of the Swiss automatic watches I've read up on,are using the ETA movement.
It may be the price range I've actually studied usually ($600) or less.. Or maybe,the ETA is just more readily available,or cheaper.
I'll say this,the finding of the Vlajoux 7750 movement,(that I've seen) have been used by companies that turn out mostly Quartz watches.. Offering only a few Swiss Autos... My point sense they obviously only require a small number of these Auto movements,maybe the Vlajoux 7750,turns out to be a better value for small orders .....(Just a thought)
It's primarily the quality and reliability aspects comparing the two movements that I ask about.
Thanks for any input ..........
Old 10-20-2007, 07:45 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

I might be wrong here but the Vlajoux 7750 is an automatic chronograph while the ETA 2824.2 isn't. Both are fine movement to power a watch
Old 10-20-2007, 08:04 AM

The Swiss ETA 2824-2 is a 25 jewel automatic movement. It is considered a reliable work horse of a movement and is pretty standard in Swiss automatics. The V7750 is also a 25 Jewel automatic but is a Chronograph movement most will say definitely a must have for watch collectors who admire this movement.
ETA 2824-2
[img][http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t276/amwilliams9/100_0602.jpg]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t276/amwilliams9/100_0602.jpg[/img]

V7750
[img][http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t276/amwilliams9/100_0608.jpg]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t276/amwilliams9/100_0608.jpg[/img]
Old 10-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

Great fup and pics AM!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:31 PM
BDWF MASTER WIS

Both are high quality and both are accurate, especially the 7750.

You can find the 7750 in watches starting at $500 or so but generally they are much more due to the chronograph function vs the standard 3-hand models of the 2824.

Not sure how you came across the quartz/7750 relationship but I think it would be just the opposite.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:39 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default Wisconsin Proud

Thanks for the return.......
Here's how I did the Quartz/7750 connection.....
Actually I haven't seen the 7750 used in any mechanical watches that I've looked at,except for this one area.
The Swiss Army brand have a few of the 7750's in what few auto's they offer.
That's where I tied the Quartz with the 7750........
This name predominately sells Quartz watches.
The particular model I was looking at was a Swiss Army FA-18 .... Named for the F/A 18 Hornet..
I found three on ebay....only one seller found elsewhere...and they wanted $1300 new.
The watch availability has already come and gone......
I also found a 1998 Omega Speedmaster which is of course COSC for $999.
Near mint FA-18 on ebay $650.
I think the extra $300 to get the Speedmaster would be justified.
Sense they both are Chrono's.....
Then to because they are both used,you dont know what your getting till it dies.
If it dies 30 years from now,you know what you had.
If it dies 2 weeks from now,you know what you got.
The Swiss Army does look mint...The Speedmaster (looking at the band scuffs) does look like it's been worn a lot.
I may forget the whole thing....due to me not being a big fan of chrono's anyway.
I figure other than the thrill of the toy,I don't have any real use for all that wear and tear,that the chrono movement has to put up with.....Not to mention that you have to pay for.....
I deff appreciate the mechanical movements,they are really impressive,so much so,that it scares me,thinking about wearing them on my wrist and all the daily jarring around.
.........OK........I'm digressing all over the place........ Thanks again for your reply.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:52 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

Both Swiss ETA 2824-2 and v7750 are a workhorse movements so you don't have to worry. I wear them everyday...although not the same watch but same movements.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemark
Both Swiss ETA 2824-2 and v7750 are a workhorse movements so you don't have to worry. I wear them everyday...although not the same watch but same movements.
No worries they are tough and can take it!!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:02 PM
BDWF MASTER WIS

Default Re: Wisconsin Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamx15
Thanks for the return.......
Here's how I did the Quartz/7750 connection.....
Actually I haven't seen the 7750 used in any mechanical watches that I've looked at,except for this one area.
The Swiss Army brand have a few of the 7750's in what few auto's they offer.
That's where I tied the Quartz with the 7750........
This name predominately sells Quartz watches.
The particular model I was looking at was a Swiss Army FA-18 .... Named for the F/A 18 Hornet..
I found three on ebay....only one seller found elsewhere...and they wanted $1300 new.
The watch availability has already come and gone......
I also found a 1998 Omega Speedmaster which is of course COSC for $999.
Near mint FA-18 on ebay $650.
I think the extra $300 to get the Speedmaster would be justified.
Sense they both are Chrono's.....
Then to because they are both used,you dont know what your getting till it dies.
If it dies 30 years from now,you know what you had.
If it dies 2 weeks from now,you know what you got.
The Swiss Army does look mint...The Speedmaster (looking at the band scuffs) does look like it's been worn a lot.
I may forget the whole thing....due to me not being a big fan of chrono's anyway.
I figure other than the thrill of the toy,I don't have any real use for all that wear and tear,that the chrono movement has to put up with.....Not to mention that you have to pay for.....
I deff appreciate the mechanical movements,they are really impressive,so much so,that it scares me,thinking about wearing them on my wrist and all the daily jarring around.
.........OK........I'm digressing all over the place........ Thanks again for your reply.
True what you say. Swiss Army is more of an entry level brand and does mostly quartz watches, however, they do produce some fine hand wind mechanicals and occasionally will put out a very nice auto chrono 7750.

From what I have read, Victorinox -Swiss Army is moving into the auto movement slot of watches retailing in the $1000-2000 range. This is a price range that is being vacated rapidly by brands moving more upscale.

There is one watch in particular that SA is advertising called the Alpnach. It is a 2824 in steel and black IP. There is also a 7750 version. These are great "bang for your buck" automatics which will become available soon.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:05 PM
BDWF Admin Team

Both are ETA

2824 is a three hand movement with date that can have a module for a chronograph. The Zodiac Calame Sport Chronograph is a good example of the 2824 with the chronograph module added.

The 7750 is a base chronograph movement which can be modified for many other complications such as moon phase big date etc.

Both movements are workhorses of the industry and of very high quality as a base movement. It is what the manufacturers do in the finishing of the movement and upgrading of parts such as the mainspring that takes it from a work horse to a truly exceptional movement.

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war
Old 10-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresno
Both are ETA

2824 is a three hand movement with date that can have a module for a chronograph. The Zodiac Calame Sport Chronograph is a good example of the 2824 with the chronograph module added.

The 7750 is a base chronograph movement which can be modified for many other complications such as moon phase big date etc.

Both movements are workhorses of the industry and of very high quality as a base movement. It is what the manufacturers do in the finishing of the movement and upgrading of parts such as the mainspring that takes it from a work horse to a truly exceptional movement.
Much better explanation I thought that both could come as a chrono version but was not for sure.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:14 PM
BDWF MASTER WIS

Both the 2824 & 7750 are popular movements & widely used in the watch industry. Their being common mvmt's make's for easy repairs to a watchrepairman.

I'm a huge chrono fan so I tend to lean towards the 7750. It's a thick mvmt & offers that wonderful "wobble-wobble".
The 2824 make's for a strong running three hand watch. I really like it's layout out when fitted with a Dubois Depraz module making it a chrono.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:18 PM
BDWF Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amwilliams9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresno
Both are ETA

Much better explanation I thought that both could come as a chrono version but was not for sure.
In order to create a chrono from an ETA 2824-2 baseline - one needs to nest a (Dubois Depraz) DD202X series chrono movement to achieve the result. The Steinhart Mach1 in such a watch...

The Mach1 in my collection is the Green timing hand DD2020 - total jewel count is 51... 25 in the ETA 2824-2 and 26 in the DD2020... street price of this watch is under $900.00...
Old 10-20-2007, 07:10 PM
BDWF Admin Team

Some of the upgrades done to the base movements by upscale watch manufacturers to make it an exceptional movement:
They can add High quality Balance, Hairspring, Escapement, & Mainspring, Precision regulator, Bridges & Plates
All 7750 and 2824 are NOT alike. The more you pay the better the parts, fit and finish of the movement and the long term accuracy of the watch

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war
Old 10-20-2007, 10:23 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

I am pleased to see I was right, one is chrono and one isn't, my knowledge has grown so much since I became a member here