Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > Media Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 AM
BDWF Watch Collector

Default RENATO -> Made In Indonesia ??? ...

A "Fellow Of The BDWF WIS Academy" - Mr. "mkatan", SIR!, I believe - mentioned that he thought RENATO Watches are made in Bahli, Indonesia. I want to publicly thank him for that insightful post and, FWIW, state that I think he may (again, MAY; i.e., M.A.Y.) be right!

Now, is "Hand-Made" (in Indonesia) a bad thing? I asked my wife THAT exact question tonight during the BIG RENATO "Shew" and she said, "Certainly NOT!" She went on to "edumacate" me on the artistry of the generations of master craftsmen (and women) who've produced outstandingly intricate jewelry like the following ...

[center:1g578xbl]
Montage ...
Individual Images Courtesy http://www.QVC.com ...
[/center:1g578xbl]__________________________________________

She went on to state that QVC JUST aired a lengthy presentation of "Artisan-Crafted" Jewelry ALL "Made In Indonesia" (which. of course, prompted me to GIMP the above animated GIF! - all I had to do do was go to http://www.QVC.com and do a search on "Artisan Crafted Made In Indonesia" and, viola!, up came "a veritable plethora" of matching "accoutrements!")

My "sweetie" added that, "according to lore", every one of the intricate designs ...
  • ... on "Made In Indonesia" jewelry ...
  • [list:1g578xbl]... is supposed to tell a story, but, apparently, you need to travel ...
[/list:u:1g578xbl]
  • [list:1g578xbl][list:1g578xbl].... to that country to obtain an EXACT interpretation! ...
[/list:u:1g578xbl][/list:u:1g578xbl]

So, again, the abundance of gifted Indonesian "artisans" MAY (I say, MAY!) be responsible for Daniel Mink deciding that Bahli was a good place to "set up shop" for his RENATO Watches. And, contrary to what I recently believed (and DO NOW publicly apologize for! ... ), ...
  • ... being "HANDMADE (In Indonesia)" is probably a GOOD thing! ...

NB: A guy can learn a LOT by carefully listening to his wife! ...
Old 10-18-2007, 12:15 PM
BDWF Executive Admin.

Default Re: RENATO -> Made In Indonesia ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ward
being "HANDMADE (In Indonesia)" is probably a GOOD thing!
Then they should proudly stamp the back of their case proclaiming it.

Wait.

That'll never happen.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:18 PM
BDWF MASTER WIS

Default Re: RENATO -> Made In Indonesia ...

[quote=Bonsai Doug]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Larry Ward":yxjqhkbr
being "HANDMADE (In Indonesia)" is probably a GOOD thing!
Then they should proudly stamp the back of their case proclaiming it.

Wait.

That'll never happen.[/quote:yxjqhkbr]

Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 PM
BDWF VIP

I wonder if the case manufacturer is stamped on the inside?

Mark
Old 10-18-2007, 01:27 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT THEN................

Sounds like a couple of you guys .............REALLY DON"T LIKE RENATO...................Then go buy something else and leave the poor dead horse alone.........................
Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
BDWF Executive Admin.

Rick... not true. But what would be the harm (for any manufacturer) in letting the buying
public know exactly where the watch was designed and assembled?

For those who love their Renatos, would you not have purchased your watches if the case back
said something like: Classic Italian design - hand assembled by artisans in Indonesia.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

I would have to assume that they don't put that on the caseback for the same reason Chevy doesn't put a tag on the back of the Equinox that says "Equinox by Chevy - Engine Made in China". Perception, perception, perception!!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
BDWF VIP

Is it a negative perception thing for the country as most countries are proud to put the origin in a conspicuous place. But if perception is key for the watch brand then it won't be in a conspicuos place but I bet it is inside the case.

I have no problem with Renato and other brands not made in Germany or Switzerland

Mark
Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

Thanks for the insight LARRY! VERY interesting. Nonetheless, regardless of where its made(especially if not in Swiss, German, etc), they will always be naysayers and look down on them...
Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielr22
Thanks for the insight LARRY! VERY interesting. Nonetheless, regardless of where its made(especially if not in Swiss, German, etc), they will always be naysayers and look down on them...
I agree! Look how long it took for Japan to establish themselves for quality. There are many people, and I'm sorry I revert back to cars but that is my other love, that automatically equate items made (by hand or not) in the Far East with mass-production and quantity over quality. One undeniable fact is, if the Renatos were hand-made in Switzerland, Germany, the U.S. or even Canada, there is NO WAY Daniel could offer them for the prices he does.

Let's remember, unless Daniel has an unlimited supply of cash, he is making these watches for business and profit.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default Re: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT THEN................

Quote:
Originally Posted by INVICTARICK
Sounds like a couple of you guys .............REALLY DON"T LIKE RENATO...................Then go buy something else and leave the poor dead horse alone.........................
Rick... I have to agree with Doug on this one. It is not the fact that anyone is getting into Renato bashing... it is simply called truth in advertising and manufacturing. As a consumer, you have the right to know where the products you purchase are produced. This has become a huge issue now with the flap over China and the quality of goods produced there.

Watches are not a small investment... especially when consumers are spending $500 - $2,000 + on these Renatos. You have the right and should demand to know where they are produced. Yes... it does make a difference and should.

I don't own a Renato and don't intend to. Is it because they are produced in Indonesia? No... it is because they are way to big for my taste and to much machining on the bracelets and cases. The dials, in some cases, are so busy you can't read the time. But none of that is based on where they are made. I have known for a long time where they were being produced. You never once saw me get on this forum and bash Renato for being made where it is made. That is simply not my style nor do I have any desire to do that. I know you and others purchase Renatos, Android, Swiss Legend, etc., because you like the styles and enjoy the watches. That is what counts, to some degree, in the end. But it is important to tell the truth about where they are manufactured.

This nonsense about not telling the public where these watches are made.. not just Renato but SWI, Swiss Legend and the like, has gone far enough. These manufacturers need to be 100% truthful.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

I find it interesting some people here are always questioning where Renatos are made, but don't question where the other 49% of their "Swiss Made" big name watches are made.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 PM
BDWF MASTER WIS

HEY!! I have one of those Equinox vehicles.........yup, engine and tranny are made in China and it's all put together somewhere in Canada. I think by law all this info has to be put on the window sticker.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:56 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconopolis
I find it interesting some people here are always questioning where Renatos are made, but don't question where the other 49% of their "Swiss Made" big name watches are made.

VERY true... I think its ONLY cuz RENATO, INVICTA, SWI and others alike are so much more accessible(being on TV and actually reading some watch Forums) than the other higher end company's, that they become an easier target...
Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin Proud
HEY!! I have one of those Equinox vehicles.........yup, engine and tranny are made in China and it's all put together somewhere in Canada. I think by law all this info has to be put on the window sticker.
I was making the point of advertising the fact the engine is Chinese right on the vehicle. You are correct that is has to be on the Monterrey sticker. As long as the only governing body that has set standards for "Swiss Made" enforces them, I don't think we will see any US regulation for watches.

I wasn't bashing the Equinox! I was simply using it as an example. I can't bash the Equinox, my company supplies parts to the Canadian assembly company that go into each and every one. So, I think maybe you should consider buying an extra one!

As far as Renato goes, it really boils down to buy what you like. There are people that don't care about the assembly location and those that do. Those that don't will continue to buy and those that do will spend their money elsewhere. Personally IMO, if Renato and all the other manufacturers listed do not HAVE to disclose the locations, they are not doing anything wrong. For me, the quality, build and design are the selling factors. As I do not own, run or work for a watch company, I cannot presume to know how one should be operated or presented to the public.
Closed Thread