Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > My New Watch

Old 02-08-2018, 09:42 AM
BDWF Watch Collector

Default Nuts about this watch

Well it's finally here, I ordered the M27 'Nut' watch from Rigano-de Bri.* I had to wait a wee while as they were concentrating production on the M24, but I thought that would be a wee bit small for me, I was right.

First impressions are wow!* The watch has a very special something about it, perhaps, for me the something is the fact that the watch case*is completely hand made and assembled and being an engineer, I have a good appreciation of what is involved and how many time a simple mistake can lead to a case being scrap.

So here we arew then, delivered in a very tasty and not too ostentatious box

...and inside...

The watch and relevant paperwork..

the case donor..

A close up of the nut as I will be mentioning it later.

The completed watch also features 'minor bumps and dings' but these can simply be put down to the choice of donor materials and the manufacturing process, the nut itself is a typical industrial strength M27 nut, originally created en-mass and churned out to fulfil some fitting purpose.* However, when Guido and his team get thier hands on they need to turn it into a functional watch case whilst still retaining it's industrial heritage, so I should imagine they can polish the bejeezus out of it and remove all of the imperfections but then quite a bit of material would be lost and I don't think it would look right.**

Interestingly all of the original striations created during the original manufacturing processes are still visible if you swivel the watch in the light, which I really like as it is yet more evidence of authenticity.

It's a nice touch that the crown reflects the case (I was tempted to get my BA spanners out to see what size it was but that was me being anal!) and it is also a screw down crown which is elegantly signed.

I believe that the lugs are individually crafted, rather than being spat out of a machine and the polished, as each one has minor differences, yet more authenticity.

The watch comes in at a healthy 190 grammes so it is not for the feint or limp wristed of us, despite this it does wear incredibly comfortably.* I was a wee bit worried that the dial is the same size as the M24 and padded out with an inner bezel or bague but you know what, it works and I think it works well.* At every step of the construction process I was kept informed I was also given the choice of dial and bague colour combinations but after some deliberation I plumped for black on black - it was a tight call between this and blue bague and white dial which also looked excellent but I would have preferred that with blue hands - at present not available.

I also opted for the SS bracelet as opposed to the leather strap and the SS bracelet is of very good quality, however, I am toying with a plain black leather strap too - watch this space.

The crown.

Engraved side.

Numbered case back with mov't number too, which incidentally, is the ETA 2671, a good reliable workhorse.

Here are a couple of pictures of the constituent parts (I nicked these pictures from one of Guido's emails, however, there are more on his thread here...)

You may notice that there is a wee gap between the lug and the bracelet, how*this happened I don't know, it could be down to over zealous polishing as the measured gap is 20.4mm one side and 20.5 on the other, however, this can be addressed with a 21mm leather strap, it is much more difficult to conceal with a fixed width bracelet, I don't like the lug gap but in this case*it is not killing me, it could also have been concealed with shaped end links, however, these would either, obscure the case shape or have to be hand produced, incurring greater cost.

The only thing I think that could improve this, would be a date window, as the date is quite important to me as I am constantly writing reports and other engineering documents, so I always look to my wrist for the date.* But for a piece with this amount of exclusivity I'll survive.

Overall... I love it, I love the originality, and love the crafting, I love the dial that is just different enough to be different without being overkill.* I don't think it would be appropriate to state how much I paid for it as Guido and I came to a private agreement but suffice it to say, I think it is good value for money.

So there you have it, the RdB M27 watch - you saw it here first!

....and thanks for reading.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:31 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

Nice, what a unique piece! Always fun to get something a little more bespoke and out of the ordinary.

Connect with me on Instagram:
Old 02-08-2018, 10:09 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

wow thats really different i like it. the case is made from a parted off slice of the included nut? Is it plated against rust?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:30 AM
BDWF Owner

Indeed unusual - someone beat me to the rusty nuts joke -

The concept is original - and it does make a statement like nothing else I've ever seen.
It looks to be a 'tool' watch in thickness and weight. Balance might be different when taken off the ss bracelet?

Enjoy it in any case. Let us know the comments you might receive when wearing it!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:48 AM
BDWF Watch Collector

Thanks chaps.

It is a stainless nut so it shouldn't have any rust issues, I would have thought they had considered that at the outset.

I love the fact that it is totally handmade WEO the ETA movement, even the lugs are hand crafted individually, which is why there is a slight tolerance issue at the lug gap.

I have shifted it onto a leather strap and it does wear much better, it has also drawn a lot of comments at work, someone even popped in my office asking to see it! Fist time that's ever happened.

I have another on order from him, this one will be really quite different.. Watch this space!
Old 02-10-2018, 09:15 AM
BDWF WIS Extraordinaire

Dear Buster,

What a smashing watch. Congratualtions!

I like the idea of taking an item and make something totally different out of it. The watch looks indeed very techy.

Give it the wristtime it deserves, my friend.

James Elsener
Owner of Montres Edouard Lauzières
http://www.edouardlauzieres.com
Old 02-12-2018, 10:29 AM
BDWF Watch Collector

Thanks James