Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > General Community > General > Twilight Zone

Old 10-10-2017, 11:53 AM
BDWF Owner

Default Upgrade for the US military .50 cal MG

Known to us as the 'Ma Duce' - John Moses Browning's .50 cal Machine Gun 'M2' soldiers on since its purchase by the US Army in 1917/8 as an anti-aircraft gun. It remains the longest serving weapon in the US Armed Forces. The old timing and headspace key is no more and the weapon chassis remains as recognizable to me as a Vietnam vet and military retiree in 1996 as it did for my father in WWII as it does for our troops in the field in South Korea to this day.

It has seen multiple uses as a rapid fire soft target weapon as well as an infantry weapon against helicopters, trucks and thin skin armored vehicles. In WWII it saw action in P-51, P-47 fighters, B-17 and B-24 bombers to Navy destroyers, battleships and even PT boats. Today - its found in the turrets of HUMMVs, MRAPS, JLTVs and MTVs. Still found on M-1 tanks and Bradley fighting Vehicles.

As a longer range anti-personnel weapon it has no substitute in the average infantry company for breaking up ground assaults.

This article informs us of a telescopic sight that can greatly extend the site picture of the M2 beyond the current 1,000 meters in the Army version of its current optical range guaranteeing the weapons use for yet another generation.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...ldest-weapons/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WAJX5CS5GNBITJS37PZOHFKPUY.jpg (66.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Vintage Watch Forum Moderator

I love that gurn! In Vietnam, the gurn was also used as a sniper's weepon by the USMC. In fact, the USMC's legendary sniper, GYSGT Carlos Hathcock II, used the gurn to kill a VC officer at a distance of nearly 2000 yards, which is what he had the weepon sighted-in for. Hathcock and his OIC actually built their own mounts for their Unertl sniper scopes, so they could turn virtually ANY of these gurns into deadly sniper weepons. They could be installed on the gurn in a few minutes, and they were ready to go. The trick was learning how to squeeze the butterfly trigger in the same way they did a 'regular' trigger to produce the rock-steady aim required of a sniper. VERY cool share, Mikie; I loves me some USMC/USA gurn-type weepons!

Old 10-12-2017, 12:45 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

pretty damn cool!!!