Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > My New Watch

Old 07-15-2017, 05:04 AM
Vintage Watch Forum Moderator

Default ATTENTION ALL: Mort is Now an Honorary BDWF Old-Timer!

Yep, thanks to MikeyT, BDWF Member Extraordinaire and all-around cool dude, I am now an honorary old-timer here at the Best Damned Watch Forum.

"So how does that happen, Mort?" I hear you ask, a barely concealed sneer hidden behind an otherwise solemn expression.

"Why, it's easy" I answer, smiling in my most cherubic manner. "With this!"

Yep, that's right, I now have my very own Amphibia Rooski watch, with its clever
BDWF at the six o'clock position, some thing I was always too late in getting here to own...

...but thanks to MikeyT, I'm no longer a day late and a Ruble short; I've got my very own forum watch to show off! And it IS one sharp-looking timepiece, made in good old Russia. Just take a L@@K at all that Cyrillic writing on the case back:

A bit of Russian language trivia: on the dial, just below the 6 o'clock hour marker is the notation "Сделано в России," which basically translates to "Made in Russia." However, there is no Russian verb that equates to the English verb "make." Instead, the verb "do" is used, so the actual message on the dial is "Done in Russia. Pretty cool, huh? (And my late parents -- God rest their souls -- never thought I'd ever get anything out of four years of Russian language studies in college...

And I also developed a very deep appreciation for Mexican art, not just in college, but for the whole of my life. And, of course, as a dead man, I also have a great deal of appreciation for the 2nd day in November, when "All Souls Day" is celebrated across Mexico and other Central American countries. Of course, these communities actually celebrate "Dia de los Muertos," or "Day of the Dead."

They create small sugar skulls and decorate them with food coloring. The also make small skeletons out of the local clay, and these they dress in fancy clothes, also from molded clay. They fire them in kilns, paint them in bright colors, and fire them again. The resulting figures are called "Katrina's," and most stand no more than a foot and-a-half tall. However, since I myself number among the dead, I have used my connections in the underworld to obtain a near-life-size Katrina, at five feet tall, and she keeps me constant company in my office.

We call her Nancy, because she resembles Nancy Reagan, not just because she's as thin as Mrs. Reagan was, but her pose is reminiscent of one she held so often when listening to her husband speak. (The press called it "the gaze," and typical of them, they insisted that it was an affectation. What a silly group they were -- and remain.)

"But, Mort, what has this to do with your BDWF watch?"

Well, you see, Nancy occasionally likes to borrow a watch from me, and she took an immediate liking to my new forum watch. If you look in the above picture, you can see she's wearing it...

Too small to see? Here, have a look at THIS:

And if it's good enough for Mrs. Reagan, it's good enough for ME, dang-it!!

Thanks for stopping by for a look, fellow BiDWiFfers!

All photographs Copyright ©2017, Mortuus Aviation, LLC., All Rights Reserved.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:47 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

Glad you (and Nancy) like it. Wear it in good health.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM
BDWF Owner

Crapola - went through my watch cabinet - even I don't have that one - must have been asleep that year
Old 07-23-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiehorn View Post
Crapola - went through my watch cabinet - even I don't have that one - must have been asleep that year
It's yours...for a mere $1,500.00 USD, FWAA-HAA-HAA-HAAAAH!!!!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

great write up, love the watch too.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
great write up, love the watch too.
Many thanks, Bust-O-Mania!