Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > Invicta Watches

Old 07-09-2017, 05:55 AM
Vintage Watch Forum Moderator

Default An Open Letter to Invicta from a Dead Gentleman

The story you're about to read is true. None of the names have been changed because no one needs protecting. Life turns on a dime, and sometimes the result is a questioning of what we may or may not believe about a relative, a friend, or even a corporate entity. This story started earlier today, as I continued the process of divesting myself of watches I never wear any more, and I came upon a snag that changed my plans about two of them.

And perhaps these two watches began changing my often-mixed feelings about a company I've continued to do business with, despite often-occurring reservations about their checkered past and uncertain present. Is this a Mea Culpa in the making? Perhaps...

In the meantime, please take a gander at my first-ever Open Letter to anyone:

DED/Rancho Santa Fe, CA/08July2017
All Images Copyright ©2017

Mortuus Aviation, LLC
All Rights Reserved
Old 07-09-2017, 06:20 AM
BDWF WIS

You were really civil Mort! Way too civil! Really enjoyed the read but sorry you got screwed with the stellar quality straps from Invicta.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:44 PM
BDWF Sr. Admin

Well, that blows.

Sorry to hear, Mort; you are one of the few Invicta supporters (however narrowly) left around, and now you have to endure the hell that is their CS.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

--Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), Blade Runner
Old 07-10-2017, 03:15 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

Default Fell off the wagon

Mort - You probably saw my post "Invicta Free" where over the years I spent about $12,000 on 70 assorted Invictas and finally unloaded them all. I can only can recall sending one back for warranty. Well, for better or worse I fell off the wagon and picked up a couple recently. One is a black SAN II Reserve 19001 – 911/5000 with a RUBBER STRAP. I got it on ebay for a good price because the bezel was frozen. The other was a "The SUBAQUA" quartz Ivory...it has components of the SAN 3,4,5 and 6.
23359-8BLU. The epitome of Invicta... big, uncomfortable , eye candy. I'm with you on the Grand Divers...wish I hadn't flipped the Grand Diver" Deadliest Catch"

I hope Eyal gets your letter, he can display it on the next cruise in Feb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (47.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (65.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (47.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-10-2017, 06:33 AM
BDWF Owner

Invicta's been the birth and near death of this forum. Along with the brand 'technical manager' (Or whatever he was calling himself) Skelton and ... etc

I remain happy with my needed to be copywrited :

INVICTA = Crapshoot ...

'nuff said ...
Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
Mort - You probably saw my post "Invicta Free" where over the years I spent about $12,000 on 70 assorted Invictas and finally unloaded them all. I can only can recall sending one back for warranty. Well, for better or worse I fell off the wagon and picked up a couple recently. One is a black SAN II Reserve 19001 – 911/5000 with a RUBBER STRAP. I got it on ebay for a good price because the bezel was frozen. The other was a "The SUBAQUA" quartz Ivory...it has components of the SAN 3,4,5 and 6.
23359-8BLU. The epitome of Invicta... big, uncomfortable , eye candy. I'm with you on the Grand Divers...wish I hadn't flipped the Grand Diver" Deadliest Catch"

I hope Eyal gets your letter, he can display it on the next cruise in Feb.
I have about a dozen each of the pro- and Grand divers, most of which are the older versions, with Miyota or some iteration of a Swiss movement (mostly Sellita, with some ETA movements thrown in for good measure). Fortunately, none of them have OEM rubber straps, but Invicta's absolute tone deafness in this case makes me wonder what might be lurking inside these older, much-loved Invicta watches. In the end, I will certainly be quite a bit more circumspect before buying another.

BTW, I like both of yours; the SAN I & II re-releases are uniformly cool; I have one with meteorite dial and ETA 7750 inside...
Old 07-10-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiehorn View Post
Invicta's been the birth and near death of this forum. Along with the brand 'technical manager' (Or whatever he was calling himself) Skelton and ... etc

I remain happy with my needed to be copywrited :

INVICTA = Crapshoot ...

'nuff said ...
Absolument, mon ami...une diligence raisonnable requise!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:25 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

Default Rubber Straps

Mort - Your problem with the rubber straps on the Invicta models 5511 and 5697 has got me worried. The straps are made of polyurethane of which I have several watches that have these types of straps.

I found the following info from a Seiko website:

"Polyurethane Band Polyurethane bands, which are made of soft plastic, may turn hard after 2-3 year’s use. Colour fading can also be seen. If bands are kept wet and in highly humid locations or are exposed to sunlight for a long time, the deterioration of the bands may be accelerated in a relatively short period and some cracks may appear on the band surface. (This is called ‘hydrolytic cleavage of polyurethane’) "

I don't know what conditions your watches were kept under and I can't explain what the heck "hydrolytic cleavage" is. (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere).

I did see some replacements for the SAN IIIs on eBay for $25 and up. Just the rubber...no pins or buckles.