Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > Swiss Forum

Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

Had the Grovana Coral Reef. Nice watch. I sold it and regret that.
Grovana makes all the Steinhart and Debaufre stuff and rebadges them. That's my understanding.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default Love the Aircraft 8!

Put a Croc/Deployant on it and fly it UPTOWN!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 AM
BDWF Owner

For those new to collecting - Steinhart in the USA was pressured by the lawyers of another company to cease and desist using that name in the USA. Being a small company - not blessed with lawyers of their own in the family - and not wanting to spend time in court - rather than selling great value Swiss watches - they changed their name.

No one from Steinhart or Defaubre gave me any information of who that other company was - but common word on the forums was that it was Steinhausen ...

If I'm wrong - I'm sure Steinhausen's lawyers will correct me ...

Steinhart continues that trade name outside the United States.

My collection includes:

Mach1 ((discontinued) with a DD2020 nested on an ETA 2824-2)

and a 42mm Ocean1 GMT w/an ETA 2893-2

Last edited by mikiehorn; 07-22-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 PM
BDWF MASTER WIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
Had the Grovana Coral Reef. Nice watch. I sold it and regret that.
Grovana makes all the Steinhart and Debaufre stuff and rebadges them. That's my understanding.
Grovana doesn't make all the watches. On another forum there was a delay due to a case maker issue who supplies Grovana/Steinhart/DeBaufre.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

I'm sure these are really high quality watches but they all look like Rolex or Bell Ross copies.

D
Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind words, we definitely work hard at keeping the quality perfect!

Best, Audrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia1 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have a Debaufre yet. Working on it, though..

My favourite, anyway, is the Ocean 1 blue and gold tone auto. Earlier this year, I put together the funds to purchase one on your site only to find it Sold Out, lol.

Besides this particular watch, I'd say your Triton line is the most striking, imho.

In any case, you produce great watches with a great reputation. I consider your firm a place to buy a watch of near Rolex quality for 1/10th or less of the price.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM
BDWF Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIAMANTE View Post
I'm sure these are really high quality watches but they all look like Rolex or Bell Ross copies.

D
Homages are rampant in the watch world. They clearly have the DeBaufre/Steinhard name on the dial. I believe the submariner from Rolex is the most copied watch in the world. From the Invixta 8926 series to Sandoz and 100's of others - you'll find this style everywhere.

The Rolex Daytona is copied by almost evey major watch producer - from the Invicta Speedway to almost evey tachy/chrono made. If one feels that some of these styles are unsatisfactory - by all means continue to look elsewhere.

Steinhart/DeBaufre makes a quality watch with 'bend over backwards' great customer service. My Ocean 1 GMTs and Mach1 DD2020 (Steinhart - discontinued) are prized members of my collection.

Last edited by mikiehorn; 08-02-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

I'm aware that everyone copies the Rolex design. Its a great design - I own several Pro Divers and a Speedway that are Rolex copies.

I've read nothing but great things about DeBaufre and noted in my post that I beleive they are high quality watches.

My post was meant for the folks at DeBaufre.

Obviously they can turn out a great watch so why not come out with some original models?

And if they do have original models my post would perhaps spur them to post some pics. I'd like to see them and if I liked one I would consider buying it.

D
Old 07-28-2010, 04:56 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIAMANTE View Post
I'm aware that everyone copies the Rolex design. Its a great design - I own several Pro Divers and a Speedway that are Rolex copies.

I've read nothing but great things about DeBaufre and noted in my post that I beleive they are high quality watches.

My post was meant for the folks at DeBaufre.

Obviously they can turn out a great watch so why not come out with some original models?

And if they do have original models my post would perhaps spur them to post some pics. I'd like to see them and if I liked one I would consider buying it.

D
D:
I will say you got my attention with your post. But I'm glad I waited to reply.

Posting pics here of available items by sponsors, such as those you could easily see at www.debaufre.com really is redundant. Please, visit them to see what they sell.

I saw a Wenger Brigade with a Panerai style crown protector and thought of your post. There are very few original design ideas each generation, but the good ones are eventually copied by many!

It's really hard to get "original" designs - there are only so many shapes that work for watches, and someone has used all of them. Even the triangle has been used. I think it was ugly, but opinions vary. Only so many ways to mark a dial. Dots, bars, Arabic or Roman numerals - or blank with a diamond at 12 - all used. Only so many bezel styles, band styles and clasp styles. Where do you put sub-dials and not look like a copy of someone? And remember, it also has to sell. Purchasers LIKE the designs being copied - that's why they are copied! I remember when quartz was cool, thin was in, small was king, and now? Huge, thick and mechanical is the thing for many.

Come to think of it, only the DeBaufre Ocean and Aircraft lines look anything like the brands you mentioned. MOST of their products do not resemble the brands you mentioned. I should like to point out that the NAV-B Fleiger style pictured in this very thread is not a Rolex or Bell and Ross look alike, though it is a "copy" of sorts, which was copied before by many, including IWC with the Big Pilot. They have the Triton, which resembles no B&R or Rolex that I am aware of. There are brands that it does resemble if you look around. The Aviator series includes the NAV-B GMT and the Officer, neither of which looks like a Rolex or B&R. The CSAR series doesn't look like those brands.

I took your posting as being a slam of the brand myself, but decided we're among friends here and didn't reply right away. Glad you cleared that up and perhaps, after you visit the site and look at the model line, if you still think they need more models that don't look like Rolex and B&R models, you could mention the intended audience in another post (for Audrey). Heck, who knows by that time maybe you'll have a CSAR strapped to your wrist!

Steve
Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Steve View Post
D:....snip...
I took your posting as being a slam of the brand myself, ....snip...
Yikes. I apologize to anyone who took my post as a slam on DeBaufre - that was not my intent at all.

I missed the link to their website in the OP. I checked it out - the Triton looks pretty good and I can't recall seeing any other watch that looks like it.

I realize there is only so much you can do with a watch but there is always room for originality (as the Triton proves) without resorting to just an outright clone. Some companies are routinely trashed as simply hommage watch companies.

DeBaufre enjoys a stellar reputation that I am sure they have worked hard to earn. Seems to me the could kick it to the next level with more designs of their own.

Just putting it out there for thought - no malice intended.

D
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default No need to apologize...

No need for D to have to 'apologize'...a valid observation IMHO - isn't that what forums are for?! Seems 'Steve' is pretty sensitive about it though?

BTW - for the record...pretty sure the IWC Big Pilot was pretty much their design...might even have something to do with why deBaufre isn't making them any more? Just a guess...

Last edited by wallace; 01-31-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default I do like the Triton...

Do like the Triton...was considering it, but just saw it's sold out?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
BTW - for the record...pretty sure the IWC Big Pilot was pretty much their design...might even have something to do with why deBaufre isn't making them any more? Just a guess...
Actually the IWC "Big Pilot" design was a design spec'ed by the German military in WW II. Stowa, A. Lange, Laco, Wempe, and IWC were the original makers of the design, but many others have produced it too. It's more or less public domain. Search "B-Uhr" and "Fliegeruhr" - it's an interesting tale. There is a good, but old, thread here:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/defi...hr-127152.html

Time to go to my "sensitivity" training...

Cheers!